Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Get Thee To A Slow Cookery - Slooow Cooked Veal Bottom and Veggies

Long time no post ;) But we're back in action now!

One of my favorite tricks in the kitchen is to use the slow cooker! When I'm short on time I like to mix together veggies (from our Eatwell Farm CSA box) and meat in our freezer (from Marin Sun Farms) in the slow cooker! By improvising and not using a recipe, it makes things a little faster and convenient since I can throw in ingredients that are available to me in the kitchen. Extra potatoes and onions? Check. Tomatoes that may go bad in a few days? Check. It's also convenient with meats that I don't have experience cooking - what to do with veal in the freezer? Slow cooker! The big caveat is that improvisation also means that results are variable ;)

A recent successful slow cook dish was Veal Bottom with Veggies.
  • 1 pound and a half of veal bottom cut it into thick cubes.
  • 2 sliced onions
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tomatoes
  • summer squash sliced
  • diced potatoes
  • red bell pepper sliced
  • 2 poblano peppers sliced (without seeds)
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • salt and pepper

I let this cook for 14 hours on the "low setting". The result was amazing! The meat was tender and the combination of veggies worked really well.

The secret weapon was the poblano peppers; they added a subtle spiciness to every bite. I served this over rice (a mix of white and wild rice). Thank you slow cooker! - Ken

2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious! We too have been working with stews lately because of the weather, but instead of busting out the slow cooker, I've been using a pressure cooker. Love what it does for beef stew in a short amount of time. Way worth the investment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! Yeah, I think a pressure cooker is next on my list of "wanted" kitchen appliances. My brother and I got one for my Mom recently and she loves it! She makes Korean stews and likes to use it for rice sometimes ;) -Ken

    ReplyDelete

search

Loading...