Sunday, September 12, 2010

Best 'O Pesto: Wanlut Pesto

A friend recently told me that she prefers to make the taste of walnut
pesto to the more traditional (and expensive) version made with
pine nuts. We had some walnuts in the fridge and basil from our farm
box. I had to supplement with some store-bought basil, since I doubled
the recipe, but it all came together easily. I used Ken's trusty hand
blender. I can't say enough good things about having a hand blender in
the kitchen!


One note, I used soaked walnuts. We blogged that recipe earlier, you
can find it here: soak your nuts. It is an extra step, but doesn't take much
actual hands on time. It's worth it, in my opinion, since soaking
eliminates bitterness, the resulting texture is nice and crunchy, and
apparently, though I have no scientific proof, they are more
digestible.



You can find a good recipe here: kiss my spatula. Turns out it's an
adaptation of a Four Swallows recipe. Four Swallows is a restaurant on
Bainbridge Island, my hometown, which sources lots of local
ingredients (such as salad greens from Rebecca at Persephone Farms).
It's a place where my family has shared many nice meals.

Enjoy! - Erin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin! I have a hand blender which I use for soups and smoothies but have NEVER thought of using it for pesto! I love it!

    My fave recipe is from one of Heidi Swanson's books. It's asparagus, spinach, lemon juice, garli, pinenuts and Parmesan. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Whitney! Can't wait to try Hedi's recipe! One more tip: make
    sure you have enough olive oil (and lemon juice) in your mixture
    before you start blending. The hand blender has to be immersed in
    liquid to work properly.

    ReplyDelete

search

Loading...